Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In which I try not to sound like a dick while talking about why celebrity fundraising annoys me.

I am generally against celebrity fundraising campaigns.  Sure, they're for a good cause.  Fundraising campaigns are generally for a good cause.  Breast cancer, ASPCA, Haiti, or New Orleans.  Most recently, there is the big campaign to "end bullying" in schools.  Good luck, let me know when that happens.  Ellen DeGeneres tweeted this statement like, 5 minutes ago: "Text the word "KIND" to 85944 to donate $5 to @TrevorProject and help end bullying. Remember to respond with "Yes" Thanks!".

Now, the Trevor Project is an extremely worthy organization which aims to help prevent suicide and crisis among LGBTQ youth.  What got me riled was the phrasing "...and help end bullying".  I am sure that since there have been people on Earth, there has been bullying of some kind.  It goes with the human condition.  Basically, this is some kind of false advertising.  It's great that she wants to publicize the project.  What I would really respect is if she took her show to the Trevor Project HQ and showed her audience what exactly it is that they're doing and how people can help.  Bullying will never be over.  Anyone who has ever seen an episode of Sesame Street or Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood (or has a conscience) knows that bullying is wrong.

The part that I appreciate is that Ellen is raising awareness about this project to help curb bullying and get more resources and counseling out there for LGBTQ youth.  The part that seems phony to me is tweeting out a number that folks can text to donate money.  I really hope that is not the end of Ellen's effort.  In the time we live in, where social interactions and entertainment are dominated by digital media, the easiest thing to do is to make a YouTube video, host an Ebay auction, or start a Tweet-a-thon.  Everyone who uses those services knows how easy they are.  It's the use of them that makes fundraising or cause-supporting seem half-hearted to me.  I don't know if I am the only one that feels this way, but there it is.

I have mixed feelings about celebrities using their influence for causes.  Sure, it's a good thing that they're not spending ALL their money on Hollywood real estate and drugs, but publicly supporting a cause because the public eye is on you comes off as self-righteous.  It's like a celebrity can do no wrong if they're raising money for a cause.  You can't speak out against it, there is the iron curtain of "You can't touch me because I am raising money for charity".  End justifies the means indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment